Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Atlanta Georgia - Week Six

The week started off lovely. Got my taxes done and in the mail, which completely monopolized my day off, but my relief at their completion can't be measured. Then on Wednesday morning, the ladies of the crew had our second of what I hope will become a periodic tradition of brunch. We went to this place called the Flying Biscuit -a delicious local breakfast in a hip spot. I am really enjoying this group of women. Just a relaxed, warm group.
After breakfast, Francesca and I headed out to the bohemian part of town called Little Five Points. I visited the area the last time I came through town and liked it enough to go back. It's full of wacky shops and cool outdoorsey cafes and stuff. The weather was perfect and we had a great day. I got Jaki a few gifts, my favorite of which was a coloring book full of nothing but vaginas. I thought that was HILARIOUS. I HAD to buy it. How often do you see a coloring book like that?? I got it at this book store where I walked in, all I saw was lesbian history and power books and I turned to Francesca and I said
"Is this just a lesbian book store?"
and she replied
"Feminist, Fran"
lol.
Like the child I am I just giggled through the whole place. So un-PC.
Francesca pointed out that they also carried reusable feminine maxipads, which I thought was very ecologically responsible, but just too much for me.

Well it's Thursday. I was half tempted to leave a post on my blog to tell you all I am checking out for a spell.
My mom went into the hospital last night. I won't go into the details of it all, but she had emergency surgery and is AGAIN having to recover from some major ailment. She is such an awesome lady. I just don't understand why, after taking care of people for over 50 years, (her dad and brother after her mom died when she was 16, and then her six children) that she just can't freakin enjoy the twilight of her years. It pisses me off. It makes me wanna shake my fists at the sky and trash my hotel room. Thank God I finished my taxes or there would be rage scattered receipts all over my hotel room.
I have been forbidden to come home. Which is so funny. As if I am 12. No matter what I do I will always be the damn baby. But my sister Mary and my Mom know me so well. So now I have to work and think every, and I mean every minute of the day - what is happening now?
how about now?
now?
Last October I was in the hospital with her and the nurses were so short staffed no one ever answered her call bell to the point where I learned how to fix her machines myself. Is she laying there RIGHT NOW waiting for someone to help her?? I am such a control freak.
Those of you who know my mom, know what an amazing human being she is. So smart. My sister told me this story today.

They have her on morphine, and she raised her hand over her head and was moving it around. Mary asked her what she was doing and she said...and I quote
"I am figuring out the volume of a sphere."
While most of us would be drooling on ourselves and seeing pink elephants in the corner of the room, my mom was working out a scientific pi equation. Mary thought she might be working out the problem on a chalk board. A teacher. Always a teacher.
Just so exceptional. I wish I had half of her intelligence, honesty, and altruistic kindness.
Anyway
I won't be writing anymore this week.
I am going to go to the Aquarium tomorrow to just stare at the fish.

The pics below I loaded up here on Tuesday afternoon. It was a great beginning of the week.

Thanks to my people, and you know who you are, who have been calling and texting me all day. What would I do without you?? I love you all very very much.
I will keep you posted.


The Extra Pics


While we were having brunch at The Flying Biscuit, I noticed on our waiter Rob's arm was written in ink "My Bitch's Bitch". That cracked me up, so of course I wanted to take a picture of it for you, but when I asked, another waiter came over and said I had to get both. Both? James, another server, came over and apparently there is something wacky goin on at that joint, cuz someone had written on him "My Bitch". I guess Rob is James' bitch and James is somebody else's.



This is the front door of this place called the Vortex, where Francesca and I stopped for a beer in the afternoon in Little Five Points. Lots and lots of tattoos in there.



They sell Brooklyn beer in Atlanta! Shut up!



This is my new buddy Francesca. She looks all sweet, but she has a great funny edge to her. And she laughs at all my dumbass jokes, so she's a total keeper. I know you are reading this Francesca, and I promise to tell my mom to give you a raise in the checks she sends so you will hang with me. giggles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice shout-out! It was awesome hanging out with you this week - looking forward to many more drinks and outings. p.s. I'm sending good juju to your mama right now.

TSpats said...

Howard Jones called, he wants your mom to pick him up a few things at the Price Chopper. Tell her to get on it. (winks, raises libation east in toast)

Would they have Georgia O'Keefe dartboards in the bookshoppe? Or maybe a vaginativity set?

Love and light from where the sun sets.

Anonymous said...

Fran. I love this stuff but I am little uncomfortable with amount of time you and Francesca are spendng together in "feminist" bookstores. Just throwing that out there. I'm sorry I threw up a little when I burped on you yesterday.
This tour is turning out to be a HOOT with all the fresh energy.
Mama's home! Yay. That is the high point (that and my coloring book) of the past 10 days.
XXJak