Thursday, July 05, 2007

Nunalot

So while things have been crazy and my good friend Jaki has been recovering in the hospital, and I have a new co worker, and I have been spending as much time as I possibly can with our window challenged friend, I did manage to spent a day with my sister Valentine in Amarillo TX. It is only an hour flight from Dallas, so on my day off I jaunted over to see her.

We had a great visit. First of all flying without any luggage is really cool. Liberating, in fact. I zipped through the ticket counter and security. I had no real idea what a huge pain in the ass luggage is. Makes me wanna rethink how I travel with this tour. My sister picked me up at the airport and we immediately went to Best Buy to get her a new computer. She wants to start writing her own blog called Nun On The Run, which I think is HILARIOUS. With all the travelling she does, helping poor places in the world, she sees so much, and I think a blog is a great way to share her experiences. plus, I am really interested in seeing what she does. I love this picture because there she is outside Best Buy and these two drop dead gorgeous, tall guys walk past her. She doesn't even notice. It must be cool to be free from the constant need to look at the hottie boys. Hmmm...naaaaaaaaaaaaaa.




After Best Buy we went back to the convent where she lives. It is this huge place, has a school like feel to it, with a beautiful garden in the back. This is a picture of my sister with Sister Sol, who just seems to be one of the happiest, sweetest people you will ever meet. She obviously loves my sister, so that's cool. While hanging out with a bunch of nuns, isn't high on my list of how to spend a day off, I do have great affection for the sisters my sister the sister rolls with.

Amarillo has an unending supply of weird Americana to feast your eyes upon Cadiallac Ranch is this odd little place in the middle of non descript field. I actually don't know who built it or why. You can all do your own Google search. The coolest part about it was that they left spray paint cans there so you could add something to the cars if you wanted to. I thought about making my sister spray something for the sole purposed of having a picture of her writing her "tag" on a car. Nothing better than havng a picture of a nun defacing property. But alas, I didn't do it.
There were a few other people there, looking at the ranch. People treat you so differently when you are hanging with a nun. Some let their mouths hang open in shock, like they are seeing some mystical creature, like a unicorn, or a leprechaun. The most common reaction though, is big smiles. The majority of people really love nuns. They open doors for you, give you discounts on all kinds of things, and basically treat you like royalty. I believe they do it because they think it will keep them out of hell. Just a theory.
Here's a picture of my sister at Cadiallac Ranch. You can't see them, but there are two bikers right outside the field of vision of the shot, with their mouths hanging open.


So while extremely short, my visit with my sister was a lovely bit of levity. She was only too happy to just jaunt around and look at silly things with me, more pictures of them are at the bottom in the extra pics area. While my pedastal image of nuns is shattered (they are really just a gaggle of decent chicks) it is always so great to spend time with someone you don't have to be polite with. She lets me swear and everything.



And hey remember that part of US magazine (or as Jaki refers to it as "The Paper") called "Stars are just Like Us!" and they have pictures of Gwenth Paltrow picking her nose in her car....
well this is my version

NUNS ARE JUST LIKE US!!!!

THEY DRIVE CARS!!!




THEY DO THE DISHES!!




THEY SHOP AT TARGET!!!!

as a side note actually, my sister prefers WalMart and I had to badger her into promising me that she would NEVER EVER EVER shop there ever again. Adding to that, she could never allow any of the other nuns to shop there either. That now that she KNEW how horrible the Walton family is/was it was her RESPONSIBILITY to inform as many people as she could. How's that for a lil Catholic Guilt!



NUNS EAT OUT AND ORDER FROM SLUTTY WESTERN WAITRESSES!!!




NUNS EVEN PUMP GAS!



It's really sad how I laugh at my own jokes.

love to all.

The Extra Pics (Just a few)



My poor sister endured so many indignities for my pleasure. This prize was outside the steak house we had lunch. God love her that she would let me completely poke fun, not so much as her, but her uniform.



This is the steak house we had lunch at where the above photo was taken.



This 40 ft monstrosity, according to Val, is famous throughout Amarillo. It is not connected to anything and just sits there. He has a name, and Val told me but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can remember.




I have no clue why or how. Go figure.




LOLOL. I was so close to asking my sister to let me take a picture next to this place. That was even too much for me. Nonetheless, I took a picture of it for you anyway.

3 comments:

erika said...

Nuns! They're Just Like Us! is priceless... well done.

Anonymous said...

LoveLoveLove the kitchen picture of the girls. So glad you're having a chance for a little fun (nun fun? is that a pun? nope, can't be one...)
Love ya,
Gidget

Anonymous said...

Fran, these blog entries get better and better! First the picture story of your trip home and now this visit with Valentine. This stuff is hilarious!......your Bro Dave