Sunday, March 18, 2007

Baltimore Maryland - Week Eight


AHHHHHHH
You never really appreciate a day off thoroughly, until you start going without them.
So my day off was lovely. I spent the morning writing to you fine people.
Then I went out to explore a little. Walked to Edgar Allen Poe's grave, which was cool. It is located in the cemetery attached to the Westminster Church. Interestingly enough, I learned that in 1852 the city of Baltimore passed an ordinance prohibiting graveyards not connected to a place of worship, so they had to build the church over the cemetery. Creepy. I wanted to hang there a spell and read all the blurbs around his tombstone, but the Baltimore Crackhead Association was having it's daily freakfest, so I made a hasty exit. Grrr.

Down the street from that is the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. What a sweet little homage to him! The house is just a tiny row house, but they have really created an enjoyable exhibit. Not a lot of people in there though.I was the only person the entire time I was there. I never knew the reason why the Red Sox sold him to the Yankees. I always assumed he must have had a bad year or something, but in actuality, the owner of the Sox sold his best player for an unheard of amount (for that time) because he needed the money. What an idiot. So all this time Boston fans have hated Yankee fans because that dolt of an owner made the biggest mistake ever. Well that just makes the whole grudge thing even dumber than I thought it was before. Babe Ruth was a very interesting fellow. I would definitely recommend stopping by the museum if you are in Baltimore.

The rest of my day off was spent wandering around Downtown and Federal Hill. Well...of course, I came back to my room and watched 24...

All last week and the beginning of this week I was trying to find a way to get out on the water. Unfortunately, nothing kicks off here until April 1 so my plans were completely thwarted. Desperate, I decided the Water Taxi would have to do. Now the picture in the Baltimore brochure showed this cute pontune boat, people smiling, a bit of a deck to sit out and enjoy the scenery...it was very inviting. So I go down to the water taxi stand, wait about a half hour and it finally pulls up. I don't know where my lovely pontune boat was but this thing was slightly larger than a dingy, reeked of diesel fuel to the point of nausea, and a family of about 4 unruly children were already on. Laughing to myself and how these grand plans I come up with usually end up like this, I got in.
You know, once it got going, I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I love any kind of sailing.
I took the dingy to Fell's Point and wandered around. You can really feel the history of this place. Cobblestone streets, lined with red brick colonial row houses, with hundred year old rails in the ground...sun shinning, bird's tweeting...I had a great time being by myself wandering around with my own thoughts. Went to the Tattoo Museum -
which was very cool. They had some interetsing displays of old tattoo machines and photo postcards from the 20s, as well as artists and their tattoos. There were a few people in there getting inked, and I was tempted, but decided to move on. I strolled back to the landing area and bought Jaki a few pick me ups, cuz she is feeling under the weather, had lunch, and came back to the hotel. A very relaxing day.

All around Baltimore I noticed these signs. The word Believe all by itself, is surprisingly powerful. Believe in what? It stirs up all kinds of thoughts in me. Believe that anything is possible. Believe in God. Believe in yourself. After a week of seeing them and being inspired to think so much, I investigated them on the internet. It is a slogan created by the city to promote a new attitude about changing their communities that are hardest hit by drug abuse and poverty. It is a really thought provoking, very moving campaign. I mean, it is one thing to come up with a slogan and put it all around town, but even if you didn't know what it was all about, it still inspired you to think about your own life and what is important to you. Very Very cool. Baltimore is just the coolest city. I could completely see myself living here. Of course, I would never make enough money to survive and would become one of the homeless bugging people for change outside the 7eleven.


I already spoke about Wednesday with Mike leaving and Jaki so ill. Things are crazy, but nothing overwhelming for me. As I said...you just soldier on and try the best you can to roll with whatever comes your way. Todd Cantrell is coming out. He was part of the original crew, so we are lucky to have him. The famous Todd. I have been hearing about him for years. We have so many friends in common it is a wonder we haven't worked together yet. It is a relief knowing that the person coming out is not only good at their gig, but already knows the show so well. Very fortuitous that he should be available on such short notice. phew.

Nothing in the world better than running into a phenomenal friend. I was online last night (Friday) and my good buddy Joe messaged me, and through the conversation we realized we were both in Baltimore. What a couple of douche bags we are for being such great friends, yet having no clue we were in the same city. I think back to when I was 26 when I would have KNOWN where all my people were at any given point. Out of 8 framed photos that I travel with and put up in my hotel room, he is in 2 of them. This is an inner circle friend, not some random acquaintance and I had no clue. Shameful. However, it is kismet, because this week has been so crazy, that I think it was best that I had to spent the majority of my week focusing on work.
ANYWAY
Joe is in town to sing with the Symphony, and we got to hang for a couple of hours on Saturday Night. Just a wonderful, old sneaker comfortable few hours. Nothing better than that. It made my week.

So Baltimore is coming to a close. I didn't get to go see George Washington's wooden teeth at the Museum of Dentistry, and I didn't get to Mount Vernon, but considering all that has gone on, I saw a ton, and I still think Baltimore rocks. Not for nothin, but I feel a little more grounded, just cuz I got spend a few hours with one of my people. That is all that ever really matters to me anyway.

Bring on Philly. I have never been, but like Mount Rushmore, the Liberty Bell has totally been on my list of things to see since I was a kid and I just can't wait. Well, that and I get to NYC, sleep in my own bed for a few nights, get my taxes in the mail, catch up with my doctor's apppointments, and see lots and lots of my people.
:)
love to all.

Extra Pics

On Saturday our crew bought us dinner in between shows. This is the group of them. Just a great bunch of ladies. They worked hard for us and stepped up theuir game when Mike left and Jaki was sick. Hope I get to work with them again.




This woman has to be in her late 50s-early 60s. Now, I know St Patty's Day was upon us, but this hair of hers looks like it has been that color for awhile. The thing that struck me funny was that she and her husband were just sooooo nerdy. If you run into an older sassy lady, she is usally an artist type, and her clothing matches the hair. My guess is, like those cornrow braids that everyone gets when they go to the Bahamas, this was a mistake made on vacation somewhere...um...very colorful.





I had a great lunch here while I was in Fell's Point. yum.




Another harbor shot from the dingy. You can't see them, but behind me are those 4 kids beating the crap out of each other.




No comment.

2 comments:

JV said...

Legend has it that the owner of the Red Sox sold Ruth so he could invest in a Broadway show: No, No, Nanette. Genius.

TSpats said...

Oh it's Believe. I thought it was Bel/Eve like Bel/Air, Nip/Tuck and, half/half. I get so confused with punctuation, well, punctuation and caffeine. Well, punctuation, caffeine and fonts. And IKEA, IKEA confuses me. Food and furniture? I love reading your stuff Frannie.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo