Sunday, March 25, 2007

Philadelphia - Week Nine

This Week on "AS THE TOUR TURNS"



Lights up on a backstage sequence, Opening Night in a new city, in which our heroine -me- is putting our dressers in place for a quick change and our prop guy Steve rushes by and says "Jaki is sick and puking Stage Right"

Music Cue: (Low tones) DUNDUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN

And sure enough there she is, our heroine's good buddy leaning over a garbage can.

So starts another dramatic episode.

It has been crazy this week. Mike is still gone, we have no idea when he is coming back. Jaki is gone now as well. Some stomach virus has taken hold and beaten the crap (literally) out of her. She thinks she will be back on Tuesday. I think she is on crack and won't be back for a week after that. You should see the girl. Todd is here, and doing a great job of just jumping in and seeing what needs to be done with getting the new people situated with the shops in NYC. We had to hire yet another supervisor from among the locals and the one we chose, is really trying to help, but keeps screwing up the laundry system. Add on to all of this that crazy cast issues are coming up, with multiple people calling out and swings who have never done the parts before going on, which is always fun. Then of course, dressers are calling out, so we keep having to train new people. Oh yes, and all the producers of the show are here, including Eric Idle, adding another level of crazy on top.

Um, yeah.

This week I have spent over 12 hours at the theater every day. I have been saying to myself since I arrived (because of the circumstances behind my hiring) that things will calm down and soon enough we will be running like a well oiled machine. I am starting to wonder if perhaps this is just the gig.

The good news is, is that on Saturday, that stubborn Scottish sickie (jaki) FINALLY went to get some medical attention. THANK GOD. I know you are reading this Jaki. I am sooooo glad you are on the road back to health. I can't wait until you come back so I can start ignoring the laundry again. giggles.

I was out shopping for the show and hit this really fun part of town, on my Philly map it said "Fabric Row", which sounded like the perfect place for wardrobe supplies. Well that street intersects with South Street, which is wicked cool. Very Greenwich Villagey kinda place with funky shops and artists types. I had an "original" Philly cheesesteak, which made me sick for the rest of the day. Me thinks the Original Philly Cheesesteak is a slogan not unlike The Original Ray's NYC Pizza. They must be everywhere and it's a roll of the dice if it's any good. That and, well, I will eat crap sometimes, but I rarely go to that level of crap. Just thinking about that sandwich makes me wanna hurl. I was able to find some of the things we need, which makes me very very long list of things I have to get in NYC that much smaller. The weather was horrible, so no pictures for you.

In a cab on my way back to the theater, it was bumper to bumper traffic. Stopped at a light, I was looking out the window and there were these two girls, about 12 years old. One is on crutches hobbling along, and her friend is bent over holding a big green garbage bag over what must be her cast, because it was raining. They are giggling as they trudge along. So many things run through my mind. I am thinking of my own good friends who I know would do that for me. Thinking about the innocence of them, with flashes of memories of my own scraped knees and Anne Marie Wolf who was my best friend in first grade who would help me into the nurse EVERYDAY to get cleaned up because I was a run around freak of a child who couldn't seem to stay upright. Their teacher is leaning out the school door commenting on how industrious they are, and all they need is a rubberband to hold the bag up. The girls stop and try to decide if they should go back for a rubberband or not, when I remember, I had just grabbed a few from work, because I like to fold my socks and then band them all together when I pack. (compulsive much?) There they were at the bottom of my bag. I yell out "I have a rubberband" and wave it out the window at them. I can hear the teacher "What are the chances??". Non-crutch girl comes over takes the band and runs back. The light turns green and I am pulling away as they are finagling it up over the cast. The cab driver looks at me with a smile in the rearview mirror. I just raise my eyebrows and shrug. It was a good moment. I bet that rubberband broke and they had to hobble home anyway.

OMG I just cracked myself up with that last line. I am such a piss head.

I didn't get to see Philadelphia at all yet, the Liberty Bell still hangs in the balance, but what I have seen is really cool. We have a good crew, and with Todd here, things are moving along. The stress level feels like it has reached it's peak and is starting to ebb a bit. Hopefully, next week, I can get out a little and have some fun.

I am leaving to go home tonight. Tonight I will be hanging at Steinhof with Kricka and Jim!!!! Doctor's appointments, taxes, and show shopping have bottled up Monday, but there is just nothing like being in your own bed. I can't wait!

Love to all.

No comments: