Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hartford CT- Week Twelve

The last time I rode on a tour bus, it was all rock and roll and such. This time was very chill. I went back to my hotel after load out and showered (to minimize bus grunge) and packed up the last of my stuff. When I got to the bus Tahzah (Elaine's dog) and Tallulah (Francesca's cat) had everyone's attention. Most of us, being pet starved, have to glom on to the the animals of others. It's a pathetic display, which I wholeheartedly embrace. I tried to stay up and watch a movie, but my eyes kept fluttering and I actually crawled into my bunk and slept for a spell.
Until the bus started moving.
Yeah.
This bus was so loud and the ride so bumpy (nothing worse than I-95 between Philly and New Haven) I barely slept. So Monday I was a walking zombie. So much in fact, that all day today (Monday) I have been falling asleep. Jenn picked me up at my bus, I fell asleep in the car. We got back to her house, and I fell asleep again. We went to get my rental car and I slept the whole way up. Jenn probably thinks I am on drugs. Nope. Just crazy tired..

So I am staying with Jenn while I am here in Hartford. She recently moved into a new house in New Britian CT. I think it is just adorable. Not to mention my bed is soooo comfortable, and she keeps her house nice and cold, like I like it.
The tipper of course, is that Mr Man is here. I haven't seen my favorite beast in 3 1/2 months. He is so happy with his new digs. He has more space than ever before and even another cat to dominate. Bagheera, is just this big fat cat who has no problem giving up leadership to Mr Man. I actually think they like each other. When I first saw the two cats together I thought Bagheera was around the same size as Mr Man, but then I took that photo below, and I realized, Bagheera is just a Fatty McFatterson the Mayor of Fat Town and Mr Man is still the Freakishly enourmous mountian lion he has always been. Seeing how happy he is here, I know I made the right decision to not bring him on tour with me.
Reluctantly, I left Jenn's and Mr Man to go to load in.

um ok. Load in was kinda shitty. Mike just got back (YAY!!) and we are all shitfting position and finding how we all fit together again. So it was kinda slow and bumpy, but everything got done.
The bad part came the next day. Now it could be that we had a new chorus girl just start the show, and it could be that we had a swing on. It could be the space itself, which SUCKS. It could also be the fact that at least 30% of our local crew is completely useless. In any effect, Opening Night was bad. Real Real bad.
To be fair, it was horrid all around. The actors were all over the place in the scenes. Props caught on fire. Yes you read that correctly, we had props catch on fire. And we were running around like freaks trying to keep up with dressers who just didn't get it. And not for nothin, but this is Hartford. Even when they stink, you have to just suck it up and smile, otherwise they will make your lives miserable for the entire time you are there. Even the most minute of tasks can become a long drawn out affair. So the best thing to do is just lie and say 'It was fine, and will be better tomorrow. No worries." And to an extent that is true. Even the people who were shitty won't be AS shitty. Who knows, they may even get a lot better.

So after that catastrophe of an opening night, I spent Wednesday resting with the cats, cleaning up the kitchen (gotta earn my keep, yo) and puttering around.
I sat outside on the deck to check email ( all hail wireless!) and noticed her neighbors. Well they aren't quite her neighbors, they live through these trees out back. Three men, in their late 30s, home on a wednesday afternoon, (if they aren't stagehands, then they must be in construction or on the dole) all sitting around watching this big fire they made to burn leaves and something that looked like a sheet, listening to "Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann. (it's "wrapped up like a "Deuce" not "Douche" you dorks)( I bet my brother Dave is the only person who gets that joke) They all have the same enormous beer belly tightly clothed in concert tshirts from the 80s. "Look at those FLAMES, man" One of them runs up with a gasoline container and throws some on the fire, jumping back to not get scorched, to the delight of his other pot bellied buddies. All they need is to bring a 1978 Firebird back there, throw it up on some cement blocks and you got yourself a perfect stereotype.
Makes me wanna get back on that tour bus. giggles.

I honestly did absolutely nothing this week, outside of work. I didn't go see the largest ball of twine or even visit a museum. Every spare moment I had, was spent hanging with my cat. Isn't that dumb? It sounds boring, I know, but he relaxes and calms me. If he wasn't so awesome I might have gone out and seen something. By the second or third day, he was hanging out in my luggage. And I thought I would never have cat hair on my clothes again. I, no doubt will be lint rolling his furballs of my clothes for months to come. LOL

On Saturday Jenn had a House Warming Party. It was so cool of her to wait until I was going to be here. I got to meet lots of people she has spoken to me about over the years. Except her best friend Sandy. Everytime I am in town, Sandy disappears. For some reason she doesn't want to meet me. Isn't that wacky?? I mean this has been going on since 1993. BEEEEZAAARE.
I don't know what the big deal is. I don't bite....much. giggles. Jim drove all the way up from NYC with his man, Larry, to go to the party and to see me. I got to spend about an hour and a half with them. It was a lot of fun. When I had to leave for work, I was driving away and I got a little teary. Isn't it crazy how seeing someone you love and miss so much, can make you happy and sad at the same time?

Well the drama never ends on this tour. Mike told us he has had enough and gave notice. That makes me so sad, but he has to do what he needs to do. I have no idea who will replace him or what. On top of that, my poor Jaki is sick again. She had to call out on Sunday. Hopefully she will get to the doctor on Monday and we will know what is up with her soon. The fun never stops with this tour, I tell ya. The good news is, at least the dressers here got a lot better. By the end of the week, I was able to actually get a little of my own work done.

This weekend I am going to visit my mom, who has been battling bad health for quite some time now. The rotten weather should make it a challenging drive through the Berkshire Mountains. Even if she isn't feeling great, it will be good just to be with her.

Hope you are all well
:)


The Extra Pics

This is another shot of Bagheera. In this picture you can really see his two different colored eyes.



jennifer grinding coffee beans at the party with one of her fancy chey toys. She has a ton of really crazy kitchen tools. My jenn has turned into a Becky HomeEcky.



The is Jenn's TV. I had to take a picture of it. It is the largest TV I have ever seen....well except that piece of crap that was at Beechwood my first year (remember that thing guys???) (Tony, you must remember it)



On Sunday I went to church for some peace. This is one of the more interesting modern Cathedrals I have seen. It was built in the 60's. When I first saw it, I laughed because there are a bunch of little churches all around it. The Baptists, Episcopals, and the Methodists all have churches right there. I figured the Catholics built this massive cathedral, just to be showy. You can imagine how guilty I felt when I found out the original one burnt down.


This is the back of jenn's new house. Isn't it cute?!

1 comment:

TSpats said...

Jenn Jenn Jenn Jenn!!!!!!!!!! Big hellos to her from out west. Her home is adorable, many congrats on it. I'll bet she'll make a martha stewart on acid mark on the nutmeg state.

Of course I remember the tv at Beechwood. I used to sit on the couch and watch NFL every sunday, when I was still straight.