Monday, May 07, 2007

Buffalo - Week Fifteen



Mike and I left for Buffalo right after the record breaking load out in Rochester. Things there went so smoothly we were out of the theater in just under 20 minutes, which is a huge record apparently. Great Crew in Rochester. No question bout that.

It is amazing how a stretch of highway can be "yours". You have travelled it so many times over such a long period, that you know every bit and piece of it. Every few miles another memory flashes in your head.
Interstate 90 between Albany NY and Fredonia NY is that way for me. Travelling back and forth to college 3 times a year for 4 years, not to mention the countless fun trips to Buffalo and the Falls, adding on all the tours I have been on, have solidified that 6 hour stretch of road in my mind. Driving to my first U2 concert with a car load of friends, packed to the point of feeling like I was in a clown car, to driving home from school for Christmas my sophmore year with my car window stuck open - freezing my ninnies off and trying to keep my cat from jumping out the window. Then of course my first trip back to Fredonia while on my first tour sticks out as well. I love that road.

Blah Blah Blah. me and my nostaglia.

So it was lovely on Monday to wake up and already have the travel part of the day out of the way. Although when I checked in the night before, company management had forgotten to book me for Sunday night so I didn't have a room. The pimply faced kid behind the counter actually asked me, for a couple of free drink coupons, if I could sleep on a roll away in my boss' room. I looked at him and said, very nicely I might add, that I would sleep in the crappiest room they had. A couple of free drinks??? I think he was high. They wound up putting me in one of the fancy suites. You know, the kind you need a key to use in the elevator to just get to the floor. Wasn't all that fancy though. I didn't even take a picture of it, that is how unspectacular it was. I was so grateful for the room though. I love my boss, but hell, I need my sanctuary!!!!! Not for nothin', they gave me the free drink coupons anyway. LOL. the pic right there is a shot of the view right outside the window.

Mike has never been to The Falls, so since we had the company car until 4pm, I thought we could just jaunt on up there. It was a glorious day. I feel like the last 3 cities it has done nothing but rain, so to have such a gorgeous day to see Niagara was such a treat. It is always fun for me to go see it with someone who has never been there before. Having gone to school so close to them, I have been up there at least 20 times, and I had forgotten how truly awe inspiring they can be. We were about 5 miles out and Mike looks out and he thought the mist coming up was a fire. LOL. I like to look at them and try to see them without all the development around - to try and imagine what they must have looked like to a native American, or pioneer heading out west. After the Falls, we headed back to town, and then to load in. Easy one this time around. Good crew, huge space. To top it all off, Jaki is back. Finally my department is whole again. It makes an unbelievable difference.

On Wednesday, Jaki and I went to the movies. Have any of you seen Shaun of The Dead? If you haven't you must immediately stop reading this blog and run out to rent it. It's a very funny spoof on zombie movies. Jak and I went to see Hot Fuzz, which is the new film, starring the same lead guys, only this time they are spoofing shoot'em up Cop flicks. I thought it was just great. Not nearly as funny as Shaun of The Dead, but wicked just the same. Go see it. We had a ball.



Thursday night after the show 2 of my teachers from Fredonia came to the show! Steve Rees, who was my Tech Theater instructor, and Laurel Walford who completely got me interested in costuming were there! That was cool. I wanted to show them around back stage, but I really suck at giving tours.I just sort of stand there and go "Umm. Well this is it. Any questions?" I wanted Steve and Laurel to really get some idea of what we are doing, so I enlisted the help of our Prop Head, Vera. She showed them all around, told them how some of the stunts worked, and fielded their questions really well. I actually learned all kinds of things I had no clue about. She did a waaaay better job of it then I ever could have. It was a trip seeing them. It amazes me how, in a situation like that, I no longer feel like this worldly 37 year old, but I am transported back to being an awkward nervous 20 year old, looking for approval. Sometimes I am so dumb. I think they had a good time and that's really all that matters.

Friday was a wonderful day. I rented a car and Elaine, Suzanne, and I went to Lily Dale. First off we stopped at my alma mater - SUNY Fredonia. I can't be that close and not see it. It basically looks the same, however ( a side note to Fredonians from my era) Cranston Dining Hall is now this Campus Union with a ginormous book store that sells ipods and electronics! AND has a Starbucks! GASP!! Anyway, Lily Dale is this town where all these metaphysical types live. I have been going there periodically since I was a student at Fredonia State. Even as a kid I had this fascination with mediums and psychics. When I found out that Lily Dale was only a ten mile drive from school, I went at least 2 times a year. Sometimes I would get a really accurate reading, other times - not so much. This time around wasn't so hot. She was going on and on about choices she had made, and the path she was on. I couldn't help but think, Um darlin', I didn't pay 60 bucks to hear about your path. Me Me Me. She did tell me that I was currently surrounded by insanity. I thought that was pretty dead on. After I got my reading I just walked around. It is such a beautiful, quiet, and soothing little place. I just went for a walk in the woods, read my book and waited for Suzanne and Elaine. Elaine brought Tahzah, her pooch. (By now you should all know who Tahzah is.) Taz and I had some quality time together. She's a good dog.


Friday Night there was an ice cream social. The little shop right next to the theater treated the whole company to ice cream! That was awfully neighborly of them I thought. It was amazing to see how many people turned out for free treats. Bring out that free ice cream and no one can say no! I did not partake of the cold deliciousness, but look at those faces!! Happiness abounds. maybe we should start makig everyone eat ice cream before every load out and load in.

Work wise it has been a delightfully quiet week. The well oiled machine is rolling well. The crew was just great, no weak links. Mike and Jaki are back. Everyone is getting along and playing nicely together, which really cuts the stress out of everything. Aren't you glad I am not bitching?

On to Indianapolis! the last time I was at this theater, I was 23 and on a non union tour. Hmmmmm. Wonder what we will find!
Also making an appearance, yet another one of my favorite people - Laura Freeman!!! This tour, so far, has brought all my upper echelon friends out. You gotta love that! Well, maybe you don't, but I certainly do. I have no idea what fun things were are going to do, but again, Laura is just one of those people I can just Be with. No entertainment required.
I can't wait!

Love to all!


Extra Pics:



Ok. This is a game that Don in Rochester gave me. It is so silly, but for some reason I just love it and CANNOT stop making Jaki play it with me when we are just sitting at our desk. You open it's mouth and take turns pushing down one of it's teeth. At some random point it snaps down on someone's finger. That's it. When I went to take this picture, the first tooth Jaki pushed down was THE one. I know you aren't laughing, but the next time I see each of you I will make you play it, and I GUARANTEE you will pee your pants.




The New and Improved Cranston Dining Hall! Check it out Jim and Kricka! What up with that fancy-ass addition!





A lovely photo of Elaine and Taz on Inspiration Stump in Lily Dale.





My favorite path in Lily Dale. I like it best in the late Fall with crunchy leaves under your feet.





That wacky street on the Canadian side of the Falls. It is still the same with all the wax museums and crazy touristy crap. And hey, the big Ferris Wheel is back up!





I like this picture.





This is that spot all the way down on the Canadian side, where you are literally feet from the rushing water. The sound is deafening, and if you look at it long enough, you get this vertigo like feeling. You almost wanna.....





Mike contemplating his barrel jump. He chickened out. Cluck Cluck.





It has been quite awhile but I finally went to shot nite this week. Hosted by the lovely Texans. In honor of Cinco de Mayo, marguarita shots were the beverage, but they went a step further by adding a Pinata! Notice the very wide berth everyone gave Tim as he took his shot at it. He killed that thing on the third hit. Candy and Condoms went flying everywhere. I thought a fight would break out over the Chocolate rubbers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this.

erika said...

Ooh, that vertical picture of the falls is awesome!