Sunday, September 23, 2007

Denver Colorado - Week Thirty-Five


YAY! FINALLY DENVER AND I MEET!

This isn't my first time in the Denver metro area. Way back when God was a boy, and I was touring with The Omaha Travelling Carnival (Nebraska Theater Caravan) a group of the ladies took a day trip from Ogalalla. It was a five hour drive full of fun and singing. We were so excited to see Denver. I remember the 15 passenger van we were driving came up over this hill and there the city was, in the distance, with the Rockies spanned out behind it. It was terribly thrilling really. Then we took a corner too sharply and all the sound equipment in the back of the van slammed into the window. The window broke, and being responsible kids, we turned right back around and drove the five hours back to the middle of Nebraska. So while I did technically see the city in the distance, I do not count it as an actual encounter.

I expected it to be love at first sight, however when we landed it was very rainy and I couldn't see the mountains at all. Meh.
As the week progressed, the sun came out and there they were. I instantaneously smiled and thought to myself how at some point during this first visit, I am going up there. I have waited a long time to come here and there is no way I am not going to get my arse up there in these next three weeks. Hopefully more than once.

We are staying out of town and in the burbs at a Candlewood Suites. I will be honest and say that I thought I would hate this hotel, but it's actually cool to be able to have a car at my disposal, although it pretty much guarantees that I won't get to know the city itself all that well. The good side is - I don't have to rent a car for the days off!! This is an excellent thing. Not for Nothin' but my bed here at the Candlehood is supremely excellent. When I first got into it my eyes rolled into the back of my head. It's soft but hard all at the same time. I have been sleeping like a baby. I may have to start reconsidering my opinons when filling out housing sheets from now on.

Load in was a cake walk. The crew here just rocks. Right up there with Philly and St.Paul. Not a weak one in the bunch. Thank God my laundry woman, Leslie is the antithesis of Marcus. She is totally on it and by day two didn't need any baby sitting. Even though the repercussions of Marcus were felt for the first three days. Honestly, there just isn't a bad thing to say about this group. They are all over it. Getting our new ensemble woman in the show was a breeze. The stitcher here does stunning work, and these costumes look as if they were made for Jen. That is an incredible feat.

When I arrived for Load-In on Monday night, the loveliest surprise was waiting for me. My good friend Eddie had been at this theater all summer getting Disney's new musical The Little Mermaid up and running for it's Pre Broadway engagement. We had been discussing on the phone the wonderful possibility of our two shows overlapping. Thus giving us some play time together for a week in Denver. Well, that didn't work out and we missed each other by a week. BUT, Eddie being wicked cool left me a package to greet me. People, this was not just a package, it was a box of love! There were snacks and goodies of all kinds, beads out the wazoo, and then he had put together this entire sub package of pamphlets and maps of things and places he thought I would enjoy. The best part was that on practically every single thing was a note with an Eddie quip on it. I am still finding the notes as I go through the stuff. It was one of the best care packages in the history of care packages. What a way to be welcomed to a new city. Eddie I know I told you how awesome it was and you hate public displays of affection, but you rock and that was simply the sweetest and most personal gift.
So that was great, and all the locals had been watching him put it together and were almost as excited as I was.

Opening Night was delightfully uneventful and easy. It went so smoothly that it actually fekt more like the third or forth day. Our new Head Carpenter Justin seems to be doing well and word is things are going swimmingly. He is pleasant, hard working and easy on the eye. Who can complain?

I did have a small gathering in my hotel room on Wednesday night which was great fun. I love it when so many of us are at the same hotel. Also, the rooms have kitches and stuff, so they are a bit bigger to house a group. I didn't take any photos for you but we had a great time just hanging out together. I was up playing cribbage until about 4 am. Cribbage-fun. 4am- not so fun.

The only really cool thing I did this week, was go to a baseball game. I love baseball live. Especially with really fun people. Kricka and I try to head up to the Bronx to see the Yankee play every summer. (Let's here it for Row X!!!) Here in Denver, we were at Coors Stadium watching the Rockies beat the pants off the L.A. Dodgers. I have never liked the Dodgers. How I feel about a team is usually determined by my feelings on the city. L.A. blows. Now before Tony Spatafora sends me hate mail, I will add that lots and lots of people love it there. It just doesn't suit me. I certainly enjoy it more now that he is there to have fun with when I find myself marooned there with a show. Of course, Tony could make Mars fun.
Anyway - the baseball game. It was a blast! I went with Jovon and Mike Berg, and we met up with Tony, Jeff, Robert, Patrick and Micheal. These boys have a game with in the game going. It's called the dollar game, and of course I joined in. Basically, you put the names of the players on one team in a hat and when the name you draw makes a hit you get a dollar from each person. You get another dollar if he makes a run. You get 3 dollars if he hits a homer. You pick names for the other team as well. My draws SUCKED. Robert's guys were hitting home runs. Everyone else was getting hits. I was just bleeding money to them. You would have thought that my two players must have been out partying and carrying on the night before with the way they were hitting. It became hilarious. i got so excited when in the 7th inning one of my guys hit a single and I was FINALLY getting a dollar from everyone, that I stood up and cheered and made an ass of myself. LOL. I was doing so poorly that Robert tried to give me some of my money back (which I found gentlemanly but completely refused...I was there to play - vagina or no) but when I said no way, he bought me a giant lemonade instead. LOL. It was so much fun. I laughed my head off.

Aside from that fantastic experience, I spent the week working and catching up. Tomorrow is my first day off here and I am very excited. Elaine is having a party at her house in the mountains. I am going to that and crashing there and waking up on Tuesday to head up to Estes and then Boulder to try and find the gravesite of an aunt of mine. I am looking forward to seeing some of Colorado and having some serious alone time in the woods. Well except for you guys. As always, you are coming with me.

Much Love
F.


The Extra Pics

One of my guys...TANKING



We really had a great time.



These lovely ladies (?? not sure about the tall one) were left in the wardrobe room by the guys hosting a bachelor party for Graham (swing/dance captain) who is getting married next week. There are so many things I could say, but am choosing to let them speak for themselves.

3 comments:

JV said...

You know that I love to steal your photos, but I had to leave the last one alone. My 92 year old grandmother reads my blog & I just can't bring myself to show her an Asian Tranny Blow-Up Doll...

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!! Let's hear it for the guy in the Cubs shirt!! Love it!

Brigid

Anonymous said...

Wow - I actually garnered a mention in the blog! I really do hope you enjoyed your box-o-fun, and thanks for not blaming the blow up tranny dolls on me!

Eddie