Sunday, September 16, 2007

Salt Lake City Utah -Week Thirty Four


Oh yeah, baby. A day off.

I woke up on Monday morning, and smiled as I went right back to sleep again. Good beds here at The Hotel Monaco. They inspire sleeping in.

Eventually, I got out of bed and readied myself for the days events. As I waited for Roy, I stood outside the hotel and there was a young man standing next to me smoking. I noticed that the valet guy was over solicitous and kinda kissing his ass. He didn't look like a snob, so as is my way, I eavesdropped a little. They were talking about touring and what not, and I thought to myself...Self, this is a brother in the nomadic life. Another soul who lives out of their suitcase in order to bring joy to the masses. Once Brown Nosie took off I asked him if he was in a band. He said yes. A band called Modest Mouse. Now I am no idiot. I know who Modest Mouse is. Could I pick a song of theirs off the radio. Hold on lemme check iTunes. Please stand by. Um the answer is no. I do not even remotely know their music. However, he was a nice guy and we enjoyed a chat about touring. He talked a lot about the concert he had just played in Brooklyn...which of course got me all excited...cuz it's Brooklyn. He also thought it was cool that we (Spamalot) got to hang in each city for a spell and get to enjoy wherever we happened to be. It was a nice moment. I guess he is the bassist, Eric Judy.

After my brush with the semi famous, Roy and I went to the Utah State Fair. Oh I just love this kinda stuff. You can keep your art museums, gimme ANY state fair! The minute we walked in the place we saw a pumpkin on steroids! It was HUGE! What is it with Americans and their need to create the largest anything? So bizarre.After that amazing display we walked through the midway, playing the water pistol game, which Roy won, but I was forced to carry around the stuffed animal for the rest of the day. We put our lives on the line by entrusting ourselves into the hands of the carnies as we rode a few of the rides. Seriously people, I thought at one point I was going to die as we were flipped around and around on this crazy freak show of a ride that defies definition. I warned Roy that when I get too scared, I emotionally shut down and become stoic and stone faced. Sure enough as the ride whipped us upside down I became silent and frozen, with only my ears listening to the strange, scary creaks and grinding gears of the mechanisms holding us into the damn thing were making. I was sliping. Sliding all the way up, my shoulders pushing against the harness, knowing it was going to open and I would fall head first onto the metal grating where my purse and Roy's stuffed bear were. Obviously, I survived. I might have peed a little. Remember the Thunderbolt? C'mon, you know you do. Well, I remember riding that thing and thinking it was the best ride ever. I suppose at the tender age of 10, it was pretty thrilling, but after almost losing my life on whatever the hell that other ride was called, it was almost relaxing. Of course, I had a clue it wasn't the ride I remembered, when I noticed all the people riding it were between the ages of 8 and 12. The most exciting part was when I was walking to my seat on the assy thing and slipped on the grating, almost into a half split. Nice. Very Nice.
On another topic... COWBOYS ARE HOT. I never thought I would look twice at a pair of Wrangler jeans, but YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW! Wow. Roy and I headed over to the smaller grandstand to watch some team penning. Ok, yes the contest itself was pretty cool. The announcer would tell them the number they were looking for (each cow had a number on it - 3 of each) and they would have to seperate them from the herd and get all three penned into the corrale within a minute. They were riding hard, their gorgeous horses stopping and changing direction on a dime. It was really fun watching it all. But then the hormones kick in. Those hats, the tight jeans, the fierce riding...I was very distracted at times. Then Jaki texted me that they had terrible hygiene. That was a major disappointment. Really? Cowboys are dirty??? Hmmm...Cowboys are dirty...
LOL. I kill me. After that, I made Roy get the required food on a stick. I made him eat the corndog because they make me puke, but you can't go to the Fair and not have one. He seemed to enjoy it. Hurl. After about 4 1/2 hours we were done. many more pics below. I really wanted to go back to the Fair that night, but I was full on tuckered out. It is nice to know I can still ride the crazy rides. I am waiting for the day that I get on one and I realize, it is over.

I got back to my hotel and I couldn't sleep. For the span of time that I was at the Fair, I actually forgot the date. Once I was back in my hotel, it dawned on me that Tuesday was 9/11. So I stayed awake all night, like a dolt. I did TRY to sleep, but it just wasn't happening. It is funny how each year is different. Some years it doesn't seem to affect me as much as others. This year seems especially intense. Perhaps it is because this is the first time it has landed on a Tuesday since it happened. maybe it is because I am away from Jim and Kricka. I dunno. Whatever. You all read about that. Moving on.
So.
I finally went to bed around 8am Utah time. I woke up around 1pm, sort of annoyed because most of my day was gone. Then thinking I should shut my hole because of what day it was and be happy. Nothing like kicking yourself in the pants. So then I thought...what to do...what to do with the day..........oh yes. The Mormons. Time to chill with the Latter Day folks. When I was a kid, I thought it was Ladder Day. You know, climbing your way to Jesus. Anyway, I went to Temple Square. The last time I was here, the Tabernacle was closed for renovation, but now it is open. I took a peek and sat in a pew for a spell. I felt absolutely nothing there. There are lots of times I am in a place, which may not be a part of my beliefs, but I feel something. Some sort of (insert freaky sci-fi music here). Nothing in the Tabernacle. Maybe I would feel differently if I heard them all singin to the Lord. Cool building though. The roof is made of this metal reflective material, that on a sunny day, makes you squint. All the Stepford wives were out. Although this time they weren't nearly as attentive to me as they were last year. I am always respectful (it is their turf so one should be polite) After the Tab, I went to what I was really looking for which was The Family Heritage Center. It is one of the largest geneaology centers in the world. Fitting that such a place should be in this country, seeing as most of us come from immigrants. Course maybe that wouldn't be the case if our forefathers hadn't massacred the Native Americans, but that is a different rant for a different blog...maybe Thanksgiving. The center was extremely cool, and while I was interested in my heritage, however being Irish, (who are typically natural story tellers) I already knew many of my distant people through tales that have been passed down. Still, my mom and my sister are REALLY into it, and I felt the need, since I was here, to try and assist them. I have to admit, it was very exciting seeing a copy of the actual documents of my great grand father and his family. I printed a copy of it for myself. I wanted to go back later in the week, but got bogged down at work. Oh well. Next time.
This blog is so long and I am only on Wednesday. The shows have been going fine for the most part. Marcus (the guy doing the laundry call) tanks daily. JEEEEEEEZ. The level of baby sitting this dude requires is astonishing. Aside from him, though, the crew is really good. Jodi, who is working with me with the ensemble ladies is probably one of the best I have had. So things aren't so bad.
Wednesday was KICK ASS!! Jovon picked Roy and I up and then we got Wayne. Our first stop was the exact spot where the Union Railroad and the central railroad met when the two companies joined together to create the Transcontinental railroad. My dad was a conductor. Two of my brothers are conductors. I have been riding trains as long as I can remember so this stop was sort of special. The history of this place and the endeavor is very rich. There was the ambition of it all, complete with nay sayers. Then, of course you have the cold hearted distruction of the Native American existence...and they wondered why the Native Americans attacked them. (eye roll) They at least treated the Chinese immigrants a little better, by recogzing all the work they did on it. Check it out sometime. Two replica engines are there, and between them the last point on the rail. The engines were even fired up and chugged down the track. The smoke made my nose really itcy, but it was fairly awesome fun. THEN we drove out to the coolest place I have seen in this area. In 1970, Robert Smithson built The Spiral Jetty. This thing is apparently viewable from space. It's 1500 feet long. 15 ft wide, made of black basalt rocks and juts out into The Great Salt Lake. I read about it the last time I was here, but didn't make it out. It is as if you have just ventured to a different planet! Of, course getting there is hilarious. Class D roads giving way to Class ZZZ roads, which are covered with big rocks that you can hear scraping away the underside of your car. Completely worth it though. Wow. Jovon and I walked out on to it. The Lake is red from all the minerals giving way to where the water has evaporated leaving this whitey white salt. Combine all this with bright sunlight and you have never ever seen anything like it in your life. Pretty freakin' cool, people. More pics below.

Marcus My Laundry Guy Update: I think I am going to kill Marcus. I don't want to say he is dumb. BUT HE IS. Dumb diddley dumbdumbdumb. At this point, I am pretty much doing everything but sorting the wash. He cannot handle this call. People are missing things, and he asks me the same questions over and over and over. OMG there are only 2 days left before we move on but I don't know if I will make it without his blood on my hands. I can feel the rage simmering in my solar plexis. The only thing keeping from just ripping off his head is that he is stupid. It is hard to act violently towards stupid people. He can't help it. I am trying to replace my rage with pity. So far it is working. I just don't know for how long...

The rest of the week was pretty much a wash. We leave for Denver on Monday. We have a new ensemble woman here, Jen, who is no place near the same body type as Siobhan, who she is replacing, so the alterations are killer. Luckily we just found out she isn't going on until Wednesday, so we have an extra day to turn the clothes around. Phew. I was a little worried honestly. Plus, it is always really hard to try and put someone new into the show on an Opening NIght. I can't imagine being a performer who has never done the show before trying to deal with dressers who have never done it either. Not to mention I can't give her my full attention when I have to train dressers and put out fires as well. Opening Night in a new city can be crazy. This way, everyone wins. ...I will miss Siobhan.

That about wraps up Salt Lake. I remember the last time I was here i could see myself living in the hills outside the city. My experience this time was just as good if not better, but after visiting Portland and the area south of Minneapolis, it really isn't in the same league. I will always enjoy my visits here though. Next is Denver. I have never been there. Well I was there for a few hours once, but that doesn't count. Everyone I know who lives there has told me how much I will love it. I have been anticipating this stop and am very excited. We are also there for three weeks, so I will actually get a chance to really look around. As always, I will bring you with me.

Hope everyone is enjoying the shift of seasons. Who doesn't love Autumn? I don't trust people who say they hate the Fall.



The Extra Pics:

Cowboys is HAWT! dang....



So you are at the fair, looking at the steroidal vegetables, and blue ribbon sheep. You stumble on the cute piggies and you see this sign. Then you walk in and every pig you look at suddenly becomes a death row inmate. Kills the moment yo.



I HAD to. I had never seen anything so horrifying really. LOLOLOL



The tracks leading to the Golden Spike.



This picture was hanging in the museum right near where the two engines were. It reminds me of my dad. Yes the guy in the photo was a conductor, but it's the watch. My dad carried a watch very similar to this one when he worked the trains. I think my sister has it now.



Can you believe I took this photo? I hit some crazy button on my camera by accident and it comes out like this. Pretty cool. Can I remember which button it was? No. Of Course not.



On our way to the Jetty, the harder the road became to drive, the more spectacular the view. The Great Salt Lake is truly something I hope you all get to see.



The boys looking off at the lake in the distance. I really like this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading about your adventures makes me quite happy & makes me miss you something fierce!

JV said...

1) The photo of the three of us boys is awesome.

2) Food on a stick rocks.

3) Isn't dirty part of their charm?

4) I have stolen nearly every photo from this post. (Thanks.)