Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Only Borough


For those of you who don't know, I got a new road gig. I am going out on the Spamalot First National Tour. It's all very groovy and all and I am so excited about hitting the highway again, but it does come at a price. The last time I went out Jim and I talked and decided that the next time I got a big job, I would move out of our awesome 3 bedroom apartment that we pay less than anyone I know who has a studio. Less than a week ago I got the job. In 2 days I am gone.
Now of course I will come back and pack it out, I am not such a bitch that I would screw over one of my best friends and expect him to be able to pay for the bills and all the utilities with no notice, and besides who can pack up and store ten years of living in a week? Don't answer that. I am sure some of you could, but anyone who has seen my room knows, the photos alone are going to take a week.

I remember when I first moved to NYC. It was ten years ago, I was 27, Vegas had just kicked me in the teeth, and I thought I was so old. Old and wise at the ripe age of 27. What a joke. It kills me when I think about how young I really was then. I suppose when I am 75 I will scoff at the innocence of me at 37.
Anyway I moved here in Feb of '97. At that point there was this 5 block radius of people I went to college or toured with who lived in Park Slope. It was so great. It is funny how most people are thrust into adulthood at some point. There are people who at 18 immediately join the work force, start a family, and are old at 30. Then there are people who go to college and at 23 get married and start a family and join the race to the American Dream. Even in this vast urban jungle of NYC, I was surrounded by people I knew and loved dearly - a family of sorts. That has always been the story for me. I have sort of been lulled into adulthood, thinking I was there all along but really was in this very safe enviornment. Aside from Vegas of course. But that is another story. This is my Brooklyn ode.

Will I ever come back? If you had asked me that 4 days ago I would have said no, that this was it. As the week has gone on, however, I have decided to leave it open. I am not going to determine that until I am out of debt and have an assload of money in the bank. It is hard after being so happy here, to just in one moment, decide that it is over. I am not breaking up with NYC. I love NYC. I adore Brooklyn. Hell I have enough garments with BROOKLYN on them, that I could go a full week without doubling. But without a doubt this is the end of an era. One of those big thick markers in a timeline. Like College, Newport, Nebraska, and Vegas, Brooklyn has been a time of major influence in the overall scheme of who I am, or rather, who I will end up being. Ten years of being surrounded by almost all of my best friends. I feel like I grew up here. Not in the went to grade school kind of grew up, but the I really am a responsible functioning adult, grown up.

I could go on and on and on, but I'm not. However there are a few stand out moments that I believe need mentioning.

10. Abracadabra - The Costume/Novelty/Magic/Sex shop that I worked at when I first came to town. I have promised certain people that at some point, when I have nothing else to write about I will take a blog day to write that one out. (and the story of me blowing up a sex toy on CNN)
9. Once Upon a Mattress - My first full time Broadway job. As well as my first Broadway closing 3 weeks later. And of course seeing one of my good friends on a braodway stage for the first time. I cried like a girl.
8. Steinhof - the bar around the corner from my place. I should have a bronze plaque placed on a stool or something.
7. U2 at the Garden - Finally. All the way down front on the floor, Edge side, with Jim and Joe in the seats 2 sections up. my brother Dave and his friend Chris 2 sections up, Kricka by my side. Bono and Edge doing the famous Bullfight RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. I still have those phone messages saved guys. And I took that photo people. For real. I did. Ask kricka.
6. The US Open. I'll help Andy find his mojo. And the Farewell Andre moment will live forever in my mind. I am so glad I got to see him play one last time.
5. The opening night party of Music Man - I somehow scored all these tickets from people and I brought my own party consisting of Jim, Rhonda, Kricka, and Tim. Hilarious.
4. Working my first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I am sorry but there is nothing like seeing the profile of a giant Bullwinkle balloon floating in between the tall buildings and lights of Times Square.
3. The roof of my apartment building and all the moments that go along with that.
2. 9/11. Now I know this was seeming to be a happy list, but I would be a big fat liar If I left it off.
1. The Best 30th Birthday party I think anyone has ever ever had. - 2 hour night time cruise around NYC harbor with 40 of my favorite people. Classic.

Anyhow. I am having a party tonight at Steinhof. A going away party. It is a definite possiblity that I will never live here again. I dunno. But there is no doubt in my mind that I will always look back on THIS period as the best of my life. It's all about the people, people.

Much love to my urban tribe and you know who you are.

On a good note: The One that started it all THE TRAVELOGUE will be back in full swing once I hit the road. So check back to hear all about the wacky people and crazy things I see out there!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I made the Blog!!!!!! I feel kinda famous. I can't wait for the Travelogue to begin! Aside from the newspaper, it's about the only thing I sit down to read. It's like a living novel!
Thanks for keeping us all abreast of your adventures, Fran. Everybody will miss you, but the Travelogue at least makes me feel like you're right next door. Love Ya!..........DAVE